| This article or section does not cite, or does not have enough references or sources.|
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations.
|Relatives|| Mikasa Ackerman (adoptive sister) |
Carla Yeager (mother, deceased)
Grisha Yeager (father, deceased)
|Former Affiliation||104th Trainees Squad|
|Species||Human, Titan Shifter|
|Titan kills|| Solo: At least 24|
In team: 1 
Total: At least 26
|Manga||To You, 2000 Years From Now|
|Anime||To You, 2000 Years From Now|
|Anime|| Yūki Kaji (Japanese) |
Bryce Papenbrook (English)
|I'll kill them all! I'll wipe every one of them... off the face of this earth!|
|— Eren's vow to kill all the Titans|
Eren Yeager (エレン・イェーガー Eren Yēgā?, (often romanized as "Eren Jäger/Eren Jaeger") is the main protagonist of Attack on Titan. He lived a peaceful life in Shiganshina District with his now late parents Grisha and Carla Yeager, and his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman, until the town was destroyed by Titans during the fall of Wall Maria.
After witnessing the death of his mother at the hands of the Smiling Titan, he vowed to wipe out all Titans in revenge. He joined the 104th Trainees Squad along with Mikasa and his childhood friend Armin Arlert, graduating as the 5th best soldier, and is currently a member of the Survey Corps.
Eren is a young man of average height and build. He has a fairly long, yet rounded face, and sizable, expressive grey eyes (teal-green in the anime). His eyebrows are sparse and often furrowed, making him seem troubled or annoyed. His hair is short and black (dark brown in the anime), with his bangs falling naturally into a middle-parted curtain-type style. His complexion also seems somewhat tan. After his training and during his time as a soldier, he becomes very physically fit and muscular, often unseen through his baggy clothing.
He is first seen wearing regular townsfolk attire, which consisted of brown trousers, a green shirt with string tassels at the collar, a moss green coat (maroon in the anime), and simple brown shoes. A few years before the fall of Wall Maria, he also wore a dark gray scarf (red in the anime), which he gave to Mikasa the day they met. As a teenager, he is often seen in the typical Survey Corps uniform when training. His casual attire consists of a long beige shirt (identical to that which he wore on his first appearance) worn with a maroon sash about his waist, brown trousers, and brown shoes. He always keeps the key given to him by his father dangling around his neck on a string. 
As a Titan, Eren's appearance changes quite drastically. Along with a massive increase in height (to 15m), his hair grows long enough to graze his shoulders, with his tongue and ears becoming elongated. His facial features also undergo a transformation. Along with a prominent, hooked nose, his eyes are deeply sunken within their sockets, and his mouth takes on an unusual, jagged shape that is unsuited for intelligible speech, though he is capable of howling or roaring. He also lacks lips and flesh about his cheeks, exposing all his teeth. His Titan holds some resemblance to his father's Titan form, due to a lean muscular build, short dark hair, elongated ears, and a skinless jaw.Similar to other Titan Shifters, Eren's Titan form is well-proportioned and physically fit, sporting a well-defined lean muscle appearance in lieu of the more common pot-bellied or emaciated appearance of the regular Titans.
Originally, Eren's Titan form was much shorter than his current form. It was 3-5 meters with short rugged hair and a jagged lipless mouth that exposed his teeth. He had stocky proportion, a big head, and elongated ears.
Eren is best described as hardheaded, passionate and impulsive, which are both attributes of his strong determination to protect mankind and eventually escape the Walls. As a young child, he was so intent on joining the Survey Corps that he argued with and shouted at his mother, referring to the people in the village as "silly" and compared them to complacent livestock.
As a child, Eren cared deeply for Armin, his best and only friend before he met Mikasa, and most importantly his family, risking harm and even death in order to help them. This quality was most often demonstrated in the form of Eren taking on the larger boys who would bully Armin without hesitation; and more tragically when he desperately attempted to lift the rubble crushing his mother during the Titan's assault in Shiganshina. In contrast, Eren is also capable of displaying very violent behavior in the defense of people he does not even know. This is highlighted when he brutally slaughtered two of the human traffickers who captured Mikasa in order to rescue her, despite the fact that they were total strangers at the time. Since witnessing his mother's gruesome demise and losing contact with his father, his fierce protectiveness to those he has left has only intensified.
Eren has a number of defining traits that date back to his childhood. He came to share his friend Armin's awe of the lands beyond the Walls after the latter showed him a book depicting the wonders of the outside world; and decided to see it all for himself. This led him to develop a scornful attitude to anyone content to live and die within the Wall's confines without ever setting foot outside. This very contempt may have been the reason he did not easily make friends with his peers. He resented both the Walls that "caged" them in like cattle, and the Titans that had driven humanity to erect them in the first place. As a result of this, he greatly admired the soldiers of the Survey Corps, regarding them as "heroes", and wishing to join their ranks as soon as he became eligible for enrollment. He easily took offense when anyone spoke badly of the Legion, and his determination to join caused friction between himself and his mother, as well as to Mikasa.
Eren had a marked lack of self-restraint that often led him into trouble, causing both his friends and family to worry over him. His limited self-control extended to his temper, and as a result it was short at best and murderous at the very worst. When sufficiently provoked, his anger could drive him into a frenzy, accompanied by horrific levels of violence. Like many children, he tended to view the world in terms of black-and-white; having great compassion for humanity and its plight, but deeming those individuals who deny others their freedom as worthless scum unfit to be left alive. He also had the habit of thinking with his heart rather than his head, even in situations where his own life was in danger.
His characteristic qualities have become more highly pronounced since his mother's death. He now focuses his destructive rage on the Titans, holding a virulent hatred for them, with the goal to one day rid the world of Titans. He vowed to brutally kill his former friends Reiner Braun and Bertolt Hoover who were revealed to be the Armored and Colossal Titans respectively, regardless of their past together. Fueled by vengeance, he vows to personally wipe every single one of them out and restore mankind to its rightful place. Though he feels great remorse for quarreling with his mother till the very end, he still continues to go against her wishes by seeking entry to the Survey Corps. So strong is his desire to exterminate the Titans, he was plunged into despair when it seemed he could not even master the basics of the 3D Maneuver Gear during training, when his failure was in fact due to faulty equipment. He is unafraid to voice his intentions of leaving the Walls to eliminate the Titans, and is so consumed in his hatred that he seems not to fear them at all; earning him the nickname "Suicidal Bastard" from the other Trainees.
He possesses great amounts of selflessness, perseverance, fortitude, and a vigorous determination; managing to graduate fifth in his class despite his lack of natural talent. He refused to give up on his goal to exterminate the Titans even after being dismembered and eaten alive, took on the Colossal Titan alone and attempted to fight the 14-15 meter tall Smiling Titan while in his human form. He greatly appreciates and/or admires his comrades, and will swiftly fly into a rage if one of them is injured or killed in front of him. He prizes human life, but his personal sense of justice dictates that anyone who steals away the freedom and dreams of others deserves to die. As the identities of the Titan Shifters are revealed, his disbelief quickly gives way to a burning desire to deal each a slow, agonizing death for their crimes. Though his ordeals since the Battle of Trost have taught him to conduct himself a bit more carefully, Eren still tends to behave quite rashly, and speaks his mind even when he knows he should not. This has put him in grave danger on numerous occasions, and he often finds himself having to be rescued.
Eren however tends to lose confidence in himself when confronted with how he could do little to nothing in situations. This includes when Eren put his trust in the Special Operations Squad when he could have fought the Female Titan himself and they all ended up dying. This weighed heavily on Eren and drove him to protect those close to him unless the threats were people he was once close to including the Female Titan who turned out to be Annie. This was shown again when Eren was about to sacrificed to Historia to reclaim the Reiss family's power. Regaining his memories of killing his father as a Titan while taking his powers weighed heavily on Eren, this only worsened when Grisha was revealed to have killed nearly the whole Reiss family to obtain a power that supposedly could only be used by the Reiss family to potentially eliminate the Titans. Eren was overcome with despair by this and had only thoughts of being devoured in order to save humanity. It took a lot of encouragement from the friends Eren had left to overcome this despair and regain his passion.
Whilst assuming his Titan form, Eren seems to become more savage, bloodthirsty, and all-round uncontrollable. Though he is able to consciously control his Titan body after the Battle of Trost, he can very easily become caught up in the pleasure of slaughtering his enemies, indulging in thoughts so brutal he gives the impression of being insane. There are times when it seems that Eren is not in control of himself in this state however such as when his Titan form was attempting to write about his father from a subconscious memory.
|I exterminated some dangerous beasts. Beasts like that just happen to look like people sometimes!|
|— Eren commenting about Mikasa's kidnappers|
Eren was born in the Shiganshina District of Wall Maria to Karla Yeager and Grisha Yeager, a doctor. He had few friends, though his best friend was Armin Arlet, who he often defended from the neighborhood bullies. Armin inspired his passion to leave the Walls and travel by showing him a hidden book about the outside world. He dreamed of joining the Survey Corps as soon as he reached the enlistment age, in order to see the outside world. Because of this dream, Eren and Armin were regarded as heretics and harassed.
When Eren was nine years old, he saved Mikasa Ackerman from being sold into slavery by human traffickers. On a visit to the Ackermans' home, he and his father discovered both parents murdered and their daughter missing. Fearing the worst, Dr. Yeager instructed Eren to stay within the house while he fetched the police. However Eren, wanting to rescue the missing girl as soon as possible, managed to track the kidnappers' trail to a small cabin in the forest behind the house.
Opening the door to the room where Mikasa was being held captive, he found her laying on the floor with two of the kidnappers keeping watch. Feigning distress and saying that he was lost, he got them to drop their guard. As one of them closed in to pat his head, Eren slit his throat with a knife he had hidden behind his back and quickly ducked back out of the room. As the second man went after him with an axe, Eren charged him with a makeshift spear, piercing him in the shoulder. Once he was down, Eren proceeded to stab him to death in a wild frenzy while Mikasa looked on in horror.
As Eren untied her in the aftermath, he was caught off-guard by the third kidnapper, who proceeded to strangle him. Mikasa picked up the knife Eren used, but balked at the thought of using it to kill someone. Eren urged her to fight back, warning her that they would both be killed if she did nothing. As Eren began to lose consciousness, Mikasa finally lost all inhibition and lunged at their attacker, stabbing him through the heart and killing him instantly.
When Dr Yeager eventually returned with the police in tow, he took Eren aside scolded him angrily for his reckless behaviour. While Eren was genuinely sorry for upsetting his father, he expressed no remorse whatsoever for killing the kidnappers. When Mikasa remarked that she was cold, Eren gave her the scarf from his own neck; and when Dr. Yeager invited Mikasa to live with their family from then on, Eren accepted her with no hesitation, tugging on her sleeve and shyly insisting that they return home.
In the year 845, Eren lives with his adoptive sister Mikasa, mother Carla, and father Grisha in Shiganshina District. After waking up from a nightmare interrupted by Mikasa, they stroll through the city and Eren expresses anger in being kept like cattle within the Walls, and reveals his intentions in joining the Survey Corps. Mikasa scolds him, not taking his words seriously, and later reveals what he said to their parents. Eren berates Mikasa for revealing this, but Carla is frightened, shocked and angered, expressing that the Survey Corps has a high body count, and that she won't let him join. She asks him why he wants to and he says that he wants to visit the outside world one day and is tired of living within the Walls like cattle. She begs her husband Grisha to talk some sense into his son, but Grisha says that nothing can surpass a human's curiosity. Grisha says that he will be leaving for a few days on a trip and that when he comes back, he'll show Eren what he has hidden in the basement. Enthralled, Eren joins his mother and Mikasa in waving him off. Carla reminds him that she will not allow him to join the Survey Corps, and they exchange a heated but short-lived argument before he bolts off. Carla turns to Mikasa and begs her to look after him.
Eren, attempting to scare off bullies harassing their neighborhood friend Armin Arlert, initially believes he's the one who scared them away when in fact it was Mikasa. He offers Armin a hand but Armin rejects, expressing discontent with his abilities to protect himself and admits he is weak. The three stroll through Shiganshina and settle by the riverbank, where Eren reveals his intentions in joining the Survey Corps to Armin. Armin asks how telling his parents went, and Eren says not well. Armin then contemplates who really believes staying in the Walls will protect them forever, and that they could be breached at any time.
Suddenly lightning strikes and the ground shakes. The civilians gather around the center of town and look up in wonder at the sight of a giant hand. Eren catches up with Armin and Mikasa and they all gawk in horror at the sight. The massive Titan kicks a hole through Wall Maria's gate, sending massive pieces of debris throughout the town.  This forces Eren and Mikasa to search through the panic-stricken town to find their own home. Eren repeats to himself that his home will be there like it always has been, and when they reach the corner, his mother is trapped beneath the rubble and is helpless to arise. She says that the rubble crushed her legs and she can't move, but Eren retorts back that he will carry her then, and she yells at him, saying he never listens to her. A Titan is approaching the leveled house, targeting Carla. The Garrison member, Hannes, arrives right in time, and Carla begs that he takes the kids and run. Wanting to repay Dr. Yeager for all he has helped the village with, Hannes attempts to kill the Titan and save Carla as well, but the massive height and frightening appearance of the Titan forces him to take Eren and Mikasa and leave Carla behind. As Hannes carries the two on his shoulders and runs the other way, Carla begs for her children to survive and silently cries for their return, however it is too late. Eren witnesses as the Titan lifts Carla up, breaks her back, and eats her alive, with a loud crunch.
As the evacuation of Shiganshina is underway, Eren, Mikasa and Hannes arrive in an alley and Eren starts attacking Hannes, crying and asking why he didn't save her. Hannes says that the reason Eren couldn't save her was because even though he had the courage, he lacked the strength, and Hannes himself lacked the courage even though he had the strength.
Hannes leaves Eren and Mikasa on the boat leaving the Titan-infested city. There, Eren and Mikasa witness an Armored Titan destroy the back gate of Shiganshina. Eren, Armin and Mikasa are forced to depart on the boat as Eren realizes that he can never return home, and vows to kill every Titan in existence.
Eren had no memories about the following after he went into the Reiss Chapel: when they reach safety, Grisha finds his son. Eren tells him that his mother was eaten. After hearing this, Grisha takes Eren to the Reiss Chapel, where kills all members of the Reiss family except Rod, steal the Coordinate and gets finally eaten by Eren, giving Eren the Titan Shifting powers and the Coordinate.
After the fall of Wall Maria, Eren, Mikasa and Armin briefly stay in a landfill working on a farm before reaching the proper age to enroll in the military. After these five years, they begin their first day on the training grounds as instructor Keith Shadis grills them all on whether or not they will be Titan food. Eren restores his vow to kill all Titans, and that next time around, they will be the ones who will be devoured.
Before training, Eren draws a crowd of trainees at dinnertime and upon questioning, describes the appearance of the Colossal and Armored Titans. He becomes sick as he remembers his mother being eaten, at which point Marco suggests they no longer question Eren about things he would rather not bring back. However, Eren attributes this to eagerness to begin his training and kill all the Titans with the Survey Corps. Jean Kirstein interrupts Eren and mocks his decision. Eren does not admire Jean's desire to join the Military Police simply to live in the Interior Walls and the two prepare to fight each other. The bell signaling the end of dinner rings breaking the tension and the two drop their disagreement with each other.
The next day, the trainees begin practicing with the 3D Maneuver Gear. Eren utterly fails to keep himself steady and takes extra tutoring from Armin and Mikasa. He knocks himself out and at dinner, other trainees mock his performance especially after his pledge to kill all Titans.
Back at the dorm, Connie and Jean do not offer any suggestions and Eren visits Reiner Braun and Bertolt Hoover for help. Although they are reluctant at first, the group exchange their stories of how they first encountered the Titans. The three exchange tips and later, depart as friends.
Eren is back at the practice rigging as Shadis lets him try to balance himself on the 3DMG one last time before he will be shipped to the landfills. At first, it appears Eren can maintain his balance and his peers begin cheering, but just as quickly, Eren flips upside down. Shadis has him put back on the ground and after a few moments of contemplation, has Eren switch equipment with Thomas Wagner. Eren easily keeps his balance and Shadis reveals his gear was defective, impressing everyone as Eren could keep his balance, even for a while, with the broken equipment. Shadis mentally notes to Eren's father, Grisha Yeager, that his son is finally becoming a soldier.
In 850, Eren graduates in the top 10 of the 104th Trainees Squad, along with Mikasa, Reiner, Connie, Sasha, Krista, Armin, Ymir, Jean and a few others. After graduation, he is assigned to clean the cannons atop Wall Rose with Sasha, Connie and a few others. There they witness the return of the Colossal Titan, who has not been seen in the last five years, and Eren is forced to face the Titan alone in combat as his fellow trainees can all but look on in horror.
The Colossal Titan has appeared for the first time in five years, and most trainees are paralyzed with fear; however, Eren attempts to kill it. Despite getting close enough to the Titan to nearly slice the nape of its neck, it vanishes into thin air and the soldiers are forced to create a Colossal Titan contingency plan, placing Eren and his squad in the middle guard of Trost, which the Titan itself has breached.
In response to the crisis, the new recruits were split into squads in charge of defending different parts of the city. Eren is grouped with Armin. Enraged upon seeing Thomas devoured by a titan, Eren leaps into battle after the Titan, only to have his leg bitten off below the knee, incapacitating him. The rest of his group attacks and dies as a result. Just as Armin is about to get eaten, Eren pulls his friend out of the bearded Titan's mouth, switching places with him. Eren is swallowed, his left arm being severed as the Titan shut its mouth. It is later revealed that in the stomach of the bearded Titan, Eren saw all the dead/dying soldiers, one wanting her mother before sinking inside stomach acid. Upon this, he remembers his goal, which was to kill every last titan alive. He thrusts his severed limb up with his goal, getting more and more desperate. Suddenly, a Titan's arm bursts from the bearded Titan's throat, and out steps Eren from the Titan's back, transformed into a Titan himself. He then proceeded to wreak havoc on all the Titans he could get his hands on. In the process, he unknowingly saves the mourning Mikasa’s life and is baited by his classmates to help fend off a procession of Titans from a storage headquarters for the compressed gas used to power their Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear.
As the Titans seem to overwhelm him and Mikasa’s group is about to intervene, the Titan that killed Thomas appears and Eren’s rage powers him to throw off the percussion and kill the Titan. As soon as the massacre is over, Eren falls to the ground and his human form emerges from the back of his Titan form’s neck (with both lost limbs back) to the shock of all the onlookers. He is retrieved by an overwhelmed Mikasa. Upon his awakening, Eren seems to only have a faint dream-like memory of his time as a Titan and finds himself cornered by the military, under the command of Kitts Woerman, with only Mikasa and Armin as his support. The military intends to kill Eren, thinking him an enemy. A cannon is fired at the three of them and Eren grabs onto his two friends and bites his own hand, wounding himself and partially transforming into a Titan, blocking the cannon ball before emerging from the skeleton. Eren allows Armin to try and talk them out of their tight spot with limited success until Commander Dot Pixis intervenes and orders Woerman to stand down.
A plan is made for Eren to use his Titan form to move a huge boulder they had planned to use to reseal Trost's gate to prevent Titans from further entering, but were unable to move. Eren is assigned with a team including Mikasa to defend him while he carries the boulder. Upon his transformation to execute the plan, though, he attacks Mikasa, who tries to communicate with him to snap out of it, unsuccessfully. Eren ends up wounding himself and his body fails to regenerate, the mission is declared a failure. Despite this, the leader of the group, with some non-verbal convincing by Mikasa, decides they must stay and guard Eren.
Armin arrives on the scene and convinces Mikasa to go help fend off the Titans while he tries to get through to Eren. Eventually he is able to do so, by reminding Eren that they wanted to see the world together, causing Eren to remember how he wanted to join the Survey Corps, and destroy all the Titans. Eren moves the stone and is able to plug the hole in the wall at the sacrifice of the rest of the team members (with the exception of Rico, Armin and Mikasa). They are saved from the desperate situation after Eren’s transformation back to human by Levi.
Eren again woke up, this time in a dungeon prison cell chained. Levi was there and upon hearing his motive to kill Titans says he’ll accept him into the Survey Corps. Eren was left there for some time before he was escorted by Survey Corps members to the court room where he was tried with the Military Police and Wall Cult calling for his dissection and execution and the opposing side, the Survey Corps, arguing to use his power to their advantage in scouting missions. After an outburst by Eren, Levi beats him accrediting his dominance over Eren’s threat and it is decided his fate will be decided after a “test” mission with the Survey Corps.
Eren, along with some of his old classmates who also joined the Survey Corps, trained for a month, learning long distance communication formation, before they had to depart outside Wall Rose to a ruined castle in the region once protected by Wall Maria. Eren along with most of the group were not told the goal of the 57th Expedition but were simply expected to follow orders. Eventually, a deviant “intelligent” Titan known as the “Female Titan” caught up with Eren’s team and pursued them into a huge forest. Upon it’s closer approach and the death of some comrades from behind as Eren and his team (Levi and his Special Operations Squad) simply keep running, Eren is tempted to use his Titan power and save his comrades and fight the Female Titan. Levi allows this choice, but Eren eventually decides to trust in his team, sacrificing the last remaining member of the rear guard. The Female Titan, suspected to be the same as Eren and merely a “human in Titan skin”, nearly captured Eren before being ambushed and captured herself. Eren and the rest of his team excluding Levi ride out of the forest firm in the belief that the Titan was captured and her human self apprehended. This is proved false as the unidentifiable human form of the Female Titan kills Gunther before re-transforming into a Titan. The remaining three team members tell Eren to go on while they kill the Female Titan. Eren wishes to stay and fight with them, but again, is convinced otherwise and retreats. The three are promptly slaughtered and a regretful Eren transformed into a Titan and engaged the Female Titan.
He ultimately loses the fight and his human self was captured by the Female Titan. Mikasa arrived on the scene in time to observe this and pursued to retrieve him, closely followed by Levi. The two teamed up to retrieve Eren, leaving the Female Titan alive and whilst they departed back to wall Rose, the mission failed and many soldiers were lost. Due to the mission's failure, Eren was to be handed over to the Military in Wall Sina but Erwin instead makes a plan to capture the Female Titan who is deduced by Armin to be Annie Leonhart. Eren is shocked and angry at her accusation he disbelieves such a betrayal by one of his fellow trainees is possible. When Annie's capture failed and she transformed, he tried to go into Titan form by injuring himself but couldn't because of his shock and his mind was clouded. When Mikasa and Armin prepare themselves to take on Annie by themselves, Eren eventually overcame his shock and transformed into his Titan form and helps capturing her.
When Wall Rose is supposedly breached, Eren is among one of the teams within the area to survey the wall for the breach. He makes his way to Castle Utgard under squad leader Hange Zoë to save his comrades stranded there. Eren and the rest of the scouts arrive just in time to save Reiner and the others. Eren kills a 7 meter Titan and celebrates his first kill as a scout in human form.
In the aftermath, Eren is among the soldiers on top the Wall recovering from the ordeal at Utgard. Eren questions Ymir's condition and gives Reiner a hand up the Wall as Historia explains her true parentage. Helping Armin up as well, Eren checks on Reiner, and Reiner says his arm got crushed by a Titan and he didn't expect to survive the event at all. Eren remarks that even someone as strong as Reiner has his own troubles, and Reiner relives the moment he was almost killed by the Female Titan, and that he doesn't expect to live much longer. He also says that his mental state will probably collapse sooner than his physical state, but should keep fighting until the breach in Wall Maria is covered. Eren says that they passed Reiner and Bertolt's home village not long ago, and that they should persist so they can once again return. Bertolt elaborates on this, reassuring Reiner that they don't have to wait much longer and can return home soon. This catches their attention but simply confuses Eren. Hannes arrives with news that the Wall has not been breached, which thoroughly confuses everyone. Eren wonders if Hannes is drunk but he denies it. Hannes asks what Eren, Armin and Mikasa are doing on the Wall, with a disgruntled look from each. As Hange orders them to stay on standby in Trost, Reiner wishes to speak with Eren.Reiner reveals that five years ago, he and Bertolt breached the Wall and launched their attack on humanity. He reveals their respective identities as the Armored and Colossal Titans. He says that their objective was to wipe out all the humans living in the Walls, but that there's no longer any need. He explains that if Eren comes with them, they won't touch the Wall again. Reiner refuses to specify where they would take Eren, but that he could think of it as their home village. Reiner says that it's a good deal and a crisis would be reverted if he were to do as they say. Mikasa notices the three discussing and Armin beckons them.
Eren briefly remembers a past discussion with Hange, who confronted Mikasa, Armin and him about potential accomplices to Annie. She reveals her suspicions against Reiner and Bertolt, but the three deny seeing the two with Annie. Armin slowly figures out that Reiner attempted to usher Eren's location out of Armin, and cut the information into Annie's palm. Hange warns the three to act carefully around Reiner and Bertolt, and especially not mention anything to do with Annie. She says that they must play it safe until the two end up in confinement deep underground.In the present, Eren tries to persuade Reiner that he's tired and not thinking straight. Bertolt plays along, and Eren says that even if the two are responsible for the mass murder of humankind, they couldn't expect him to go with them willfully anyway. This surprises them, and Reiner admits he must have gone mad, with Eren suggesting they return to town with an angsty glance from both. Reiner says he's been here too long, surrounded by fools, blaming this as the reason for his off behavior. An emotional Reiner explains that they were just ignorant fools back then, and if only they hadn't known of "those fools" existence, he might not have turned into a horrible person. He no longer knows what's right or wrong, but what he does know is that no matter what the consequences of his actions bring about, he's a "warrior" and must complete his mission until the very end. He removes the bandage around his arm and reveals the rapidly healing wound, discharging steam. Bertolt asks if Reiner will transform then and there, and Reiner approaches Eren, saying they will settle this. The two are confronted by Mikasa, who uses her blade to chop off Reiner's hand and nearly the same for Bertolt, who she attempts to kill by beheading him. He is saved by Reiner, who tackles Mikasa out of the way as he calls for his friend. Eren, dazed, can only watch as Armin calls for him to run. Reiner arises beside a crying Bertolt, bloodied and cut up, and the two transform straight onto Eren.
The steam from the transformations blows the soldiers on the Wall away, and Reiner as the Armored Titan seizes Eren and scales down the Wall. As Bertolt grabs Ymir, Eren reminisces the time he first met Reiner and Bertolt and calls them traitors, and bites his hand, transforming. Eren, now in his Titan form, punches Reiner in the face and they both plummet down the Wall. As Hange's squad attempts to take Bertolt down, Eren lies in the ground, cursing Reiner. As Reiner rises, Eren remembers admiring Reiner and wanting to be like him, as Mikasa launches an attack on him. Mikasa's blades are useless against Reiner's armor however as unlike the Female Titan, the entirety of his body is covered in hardened skin. Eren realizes all the pain the two have caused humanity, and that they both have to disappear from the world, and he recalls the look of overflowing justice Reiner had as a trainee and that they both now gross him out. As Eren attempts to attack Reiner, his armor can't be penetrated and Eren is instead punched in the face and thrown backwards. Continuing to endure blows from Reiner, the two are eventually stopped by Bertolt, who plummets down the Wall and lands on them both. In the aftermath of the battle, the traitors kidnap Eren and manage to escape.
Eren and Ymir are taken to the Forest of Giant Trees by Reiner and Bertolt. He attempts to transform into his Titan form in spite of losing his arms, but Ymir wisely tells him not to as she too is also healing from losing both her arms. While she questions Reiner and Bertolt about the Beast Titan they're after, Eren broods in silence as Reiner reveals that humanity has no hope in fighting against the Titans. He and Bertolt offer both him and Ymir a chance to join them in order to protect their loved ones. As she considers joining them, Eren furiously refuses and blames both Reiner and Bertolt for causing him a lot of grief. He trusted them and they betrayed his trust by breaching his home and killing his mother. When he discovers that Ymir is considering joining Reiner and Bertolt, Eren tried vainly to talk her out of it.
Eren later tried to deceive Reiner into believing that he can't resist but immediately attacked Reiner while he was within reach, but Reiner easily subdued him. He was later seen bound up and was strapped around the back of Bertolt who is being carried by Reiner in his Armored Titan form.
Meanwhile the Survey Corps with some of the military officers was able to catch up to them to rescue him. Mikasa attacked Ymir while trying to rescue him. While she and the other trainees were trying to talk Reiner and Bertolt to surrender Eren, a large group of Titans lead by Erwin (using himself as bait) goes right to them. The group is forced to briefly retreat and watch as the Armored Titan is overwhelmed by the Titans. Erwin orders the group to head into battle, stating that humanity has no future if Eren is lost. Eren was later rescued after Armin distracted Bertolt and Erwin wounded him, releasing his strap on Eren who landed on Mikasa.
As Mikasa sprints Eren away, the Smiling Titan suddenly appeared. Hannes tried to save Eren and Mikasa but was eaten himself. Eren howls in disbelief stating that nothing has changed from when he faced the Smiling Titan for the first time, as he was unable to save his mother back then, and now he lost Hannes. Mikasa then states to him that this is not true. Believing that it will be their final moments after seeing Hannes being eaten, Mikasa tells Eren (while blushing) that she wants to thank him for being together with him, for teaching her how to live, and for giving and wrapping the muffler on her which she always wears. As she moves closer to Eren (most probably to kiss him), Eren turned away to face the Smiling Titan and vowed to Mikasa that he will wrap the muffler around her as many times as he needs to.  Mikasa and Eren both escaped with the others as Eren unknowingly used his Coordinate powers to control other Titans to attack the Smiling Titan, as well as Reiner and Bertolt.
After Eren drives away Reiner and Bertolt, he and the unified military group manage to return to Wall Maria. However, many people had to die or was wounded in order to save him; including Mikasa, who lies on a stretcher with her ribs broken, and Erwin and Historia, who had lost conciousness, making Eren express regret.
Jean coldly informs him that of the original 100 soldiers, only 40 are left, and of those only half can walk; though Armin notices the oddity that the Titans ignored them on the way back and theorizes that it was because Eren somewhat controlled them into attacking the Armored Titan.
While Eren claims not to remember, Jean tells him that whether or not all those sacrifices are for nothing is solely up to him. Eren finds it odd to be lectured by Jean, but recognizes that he is right and vows to do whatever he can.
He is later seen with his comrades of the 104th Trainees Squad as a member of the new Squad Levi, hidden in a lone house within a forest. He is cleaning the house desperately worried for the arrival of Levi, fully aware of his concern for cleanliness. As he discusses with Jean about it and another minor discussion arises around Sasha stealing food, he is reminded of the original Levi Squad.
| This section does not yet meet the quality standards of the Shingeki no Kyojin Wiki.|
Please feel free to edit this section to make it conform to the Wiki norms and conventions.
Reason: Overly descriptive with too much irrelevant and unrelated information, and exaggeratedly long paragraphs.
Levi begins a meeting with his squad, Hange, Nifa, Keiji, Moblit Berner, and a goggled member of Hange's squad. After he scolds them for their lax cleaning job, he announces their plan to retake Wall Maria and then shifts to Armin to describe the plan. His idea is to transport Eren there, who would transform into his Titan form and then use the same hardening ability as the Female Titan to seal the wall; a process he believes would only take one day. Levi asks Hange if she can experiment with Eren and she responds that it will be difficult due to the heightened Military Police presence in the walls, who want to capture Eren (the nobles want him upon the revelation of his coordinate ability). Levi presents the squad with two choices: take care of their enemies inside the walls (Military Police), or retake Wall Maria, where they wish to do both. Connie expresses his anger at Ymir to Eren for her misleading laughter at the transformation of the people in Connie's village to Titans. Historia corrects him by explaining that Ymir deceived Connie to protect his fragile state of mind. Eren notices how different she is acting, much colder and solitary. Historia then told the tale of her life to her comrades.
During Hange's experiment to test Eren's hardening abilities, his deformed Titan form falls to the ground. Hange is unable to get a response from him so Hange along with Mikasa remove Eren from the Titan. As Hange pulls him out and notices that Eren is very strongly attached to the Titan, she concludes that leaving him there could result in a permanent fusion of the two. A day later, Eren finally wakes up unable to remember anything from the experiment and is upset to find out that there were no signs of the hardening ability. Hange explains that since Eren transformed without being able to employ the hardening ability, they decided to run intelligence and endurance tests. Eren was able to follow simple commands but unable to talk, which Hange believes is due to the wrong mouth structure. However, after one hour of testing, Eren suddenly, after writing something about his father, became unable to perform the tasks and eventually left his Titan body. After thirty minutes of rest, he transformed again. However, this time his Titan form was only 13 m tall, contrary to the usual 15 m, and couldn't perform any of the intelligence tests. For the third time, the Titan was only 10 m tall and was incomplete, with his human body being attached to it more firmly than before. Eren takes this news as a proof that the operation to retake Wall Maria cannot be performed at the moment. Hange then says that they at least learnt his Titan's limits. Eren is upset with all the burden put on him, not being sure whether he can pull it off. He wonders why he thought of his father during the experiment, when suddenly, he recalls an image of a girl, but immediately forgets about her after seemingly getting a headache.
Hange then states that they'll focus on finding out the information on the wall Titan's abilities that only the Wallists and the Reiss family seem to have access to. Meanwhile, Levi's Squad receives their orders from Erwin and they eventually reach the Trost District. After Levi is confronted by several villagers, Eren and Historia end up being kidnapped. However, it is revealed that the two kidnapped are Armin and Jean in disguise. Back at Levi's hideout with Historia, Eren expresses worry about what will happen to Jean and Armin.
Shocked that it's almost sunset, Eren wonders aloud if their opponent is truly the Reebs Corporation. Sliding into the chair opposite Historia, Eren looks away and apologizes for failing to harden, forcing the Survey Corps into their current situation, but Historia brushes aside this comment. Eren asks her what she wants to do where she says she envies his resolution whereas she has no purpose. Eren flippantly replies that he has no clue when taking action; just that if he did nothing those he cared about would be eaten and lost. Bluntly, Eren suggests Historia should worry about Armin taking her place, rather than her own woes. When Historia talks about Krista being a different, fake person from fiction and she herself the empty Historia Reiss, Eren replies that he had always disliked Krista, seeing her as phony - but Historia as a "stupidly honest, regular person."
The Reebs Company men go to make sure their captured Eren and Krista are the real ones, but are ambushed by Levi, Mikasa, Connie, and Sasha. Levi takes the president of the company, Dimo Reeves, to sit on the wall, they talk, and Levi convinces him to help by offering up the real Eren and Krista under three conditions which Reeves agree to.
Erwin Smith, in a meeting with Dot Pixis, notes that the government is looking for Eren and Historia. He announces his intention to overthrow the government for their refusal to support the Survey Corps and because they are hunting down Eren, who Erwin believes is humanity's best hope. Further, he elaborates that the government likely altered the memories of people when they came behind the walls, and that they are suppressing knowledge about the outside world and about Titans. Erwin tells Pixis that in addition to all these reasons, the government is unfit to lead because they are more concerned with protecting themselves. Eren finds himself in a cobblestone building in a rural location. He is sitting around a table with Sasha, Jean, Armin, Historia, Connie, and Mikasa. They all listen in agony as they hear the tortured cries of Djel Sanes, a First Interior Squad Military Police member who was captured thanks to Dimo Reeves. Jean expresses that their enemy is becoming very unclear and questions why they are involved, and Eren replies that the only other choice is humanity's extinction.
Eren awakes from his sleep after having a vision about his time with Reiner, Bertolt, and Ymir. Jean asks what is going on but Eren bolts out of the room before answering. Eren finds Hange breaking a table in frustration over he encounter with Djel Sanes and gives her the written-down conversations he had when he was captured. Eren arrives at the meeting with Levi, the Reeves family members of Levi's squad, and members of Hange's squad and explains that Hange left to speak with Erwin. Levi instructs Nifa, who was present at the meeting between Erwin and Pixis, to give out Erwin's orders. Nifa begins that Erwin's orders primarily concern the Reiss family being the true royal family, After Historia Reiss denies wanting to be enthroned, Levi refuses to accept this and forcefully orders her to do it. Levi concludes by saying that if the Survey Corps had real authority they could avoid all this, and authority can only come from Historia, who finally agrees. Eren and the others are clearly distressed at the actions of their captain, who simply orders Nifa to continue. She announces that the plan is to hand over Eren and Historia to the First Interior Squad, who will then be followed in order to find Rod Reiss; Historia's biological father and the highest authority in the walls. After capturing him Erwin intends to interrogate him and subsequently replace him if his answers are not satisfactory. Only after this, Erwin concludes, can they move towards retaking Wall Maria.
Eren and Historia are taken by Reeves outside and tied up. Dimo also tells Historia to smack Levi as revenge once she becomes Queen, which draws support from Eren. Dimo gives many small knives to Eren so that he can self-injure while being tied up. The First Interior Squad arrive in the form of Kenny Ackerman, the same man who killed Historia's mother. He asks to speak with Reeves outside and has his subordinates capture the two Survey Corps members. Taken outside, Eren has his small knives removed, and hears how Kenny killed Dimo and plans to blame the death on the Survey Corps. He then orders that anti human three dimensional maneuver gear be deployed. As he is claiming that the Survey Corps is dangerous Eren and Historia are placed in the carriage to be taken away.
Hange arrives at the Survey Corps District in Trost and meets with Erwin. She tells Erwin about the conversation that took place between Bertolt and Ymir, which Eren recently remembered. Ymir talks about having wandered the walls for more than 60 years before she ate Marcel and became a Titan Shifter. Hange elaborates that when Reiner was throwing Titans at Eren it was likely to get one of them to eat him, which would transfer Eren's powers. She concludes that Rod Reiss wants to eat Eren in order to gain this ability. Two days after this meeting, Levi's squad has trailed the First Interior Squad to Trost. After seeing two coffins being loaded into a carriage, they correctly conclude that they contain Eren and Historia. An ambush by Kenny Ackerman and the First Interior Squad forces Levi and the Survey Corps to give up saving Eren and Historia. Kenny is temporarily defeated by Levi and decides to have his subordinates continue the chase as he escorts the coffins to Rod Reiss. At an unknown location Eren is taken out of his casket by Kenny, who remarks this it has been a long journey. Eren sees Rod Reiss and identifies him as an enemy of humanity, but is shocked when he apologizes to Historia and hugs her.
Eren is seen sleeping in some manner of underground dungeon with his arms chained to the walls and his shirt missing. Kenny Ackerman is sharpening a knife as Rod Reiss remarks to Historia that it is time to put an end to this battle. As Eren wakes up he notices Historia who explains that Rod Reiss is an ally of humanity and the Survey Corps are wrong about him. As Eren notices Kenny Ackerman wearing his modified three dimensional maneuver gear, he thinks back to his last memory. It is of Rod Reiss asking Historia for forgiveness and claiming that he did everything he did to protect her. Eren wonders how much time is passed, about Levi, about Armin, about the Survey Corps, about what Historia was told, how many times he has been captured, and feels like he has been in this dungeon before. Rod Reiss remarks that while it is Eren's first time here, it is not unusual that Eren feels like he has been here before. He leads Historia to Eren's back as she asks her father to explain everything to Eren. He replies that he intends to but first wants to give Eren a memory of what happened here. Both Rod Reiss and Historia place their hand on Eren's back and he receives a memory. It depicts the viewpoint of someone moving towards a chapel, opening a set of stairs, and then venturing into the very place Eren is now. Rod Reiss, his wife, and their five children are all there. The memories are fractal and next reveals the slaughter of Rod Reiss' entire family by that person as a Titan Shifter, including killing one unidentified Titan Shifter. The chapel is destroyed and next reveals Eren receiving his key from the stranger. The memories are revealed to be Grishas as he injects Eren with a serum. This transforms Eren into a Titan who then eats Grisha and changes into a Titan Shifter. Eren returns to his human form, looks at his father's corpse, and cries in agony. Out of the memory Rod Reiss asks if Eren remembers his father's sin as Historia looks confused.
After seeing Eren's memories, Historia appears to be in distress. She has remembered the black haired girl who spent time with her during her childhood. As Historia explains that she taught her to read and write and was kind to her, Rod explains that that was Frieda Reiss who erased any memory of herself from Historia to protect her. Rod suggests that seeing Eren's memories triggered her own. Rod explains that Frieda, his wife, and his other four children were all killed by Grisha five years ago to steal the power that Frieda had in her Titan form.
Kenny Ackerman interrupts by telling them to get on with their plan since the Survey Corps has overthrown the government and are surely on their way here. Rod, Eren and Historia are then left alone in the underground chamber as Historia looks at Eren angrily. Rod Reiss returns holding a doctor's bag and a needle containing Titan serum as Historia wonders what it is. As Eren looks on with worry remembering what the serum did to him, Rod explains to Historia that Frieda memories live on and asks if Historia wants to see her, and she responds that she does. Upon hearing this, Eren struggles through the chains binding him.
Historia threateningly asks Eren what's wrong before Rod answers that Eren has realized his own fate. Rod tells Historia that Eren's power will soon return to its rightful place inside her. Her father goes on to explain the story of the first king who had the coordinate power and how this was passed on through the Reiss bloodline; the only ones who can fully utilise the power. Rod tells Historia than their current situation of humans killing humans and the broken wall could have been avoided if Frieda had her power. Historia asks the obvious question of why Frieda did not do that if she could, and her father answers that she couldn't because Eren has that power now, so as long as he has it their suffering will continue. Kenny lowering himself from the ceiling with his 3DMG, interrupts their plan at this fact saying it would be totally pointless for him to become a Titan and eat Eren.Now that Kenny realizes his goal is unreachable, he turns against Rod and threatens to kill him, but is stopped by Historia, who assumes her mission to eat Eren and use the Coordinate to inherit Frieda's memories and save humanity. 
Seeing this, Kenny leaves Rod and approaches Eren, revealing that he wants him to transform into a Titan and fight Historia just for fun. He releases Eren's mouth and cuts along his forehead in order to help him with his transformation; stating that if Historia wins, the world will be saved, but if Eren wins, nothing will change. 
Rod shoves the needle into Historia's hands telling her not to worry since he selected a combat-type Titan and Eren is still in his restraints. He clarifies that eating him is unnecessary, all Historia has to do is ingest Eren's spinal fluid. Historia pauses and asks Eren why he isn't transforming since he will surely die otherwise. Eren weakly replies that this never needed to happen and everything would have been fine if Grisha hadn't killed Frieda. He blames his father's actions for countless death like Armin's grandfather, Thomas Wagner, Mina Carolina, Mylius Zeramuski, Nac Tius, Marco Bott, Petra Ral, Oluo Bozado, Eld Jinn, Gunther Schultz, people in Stohess District, the soldiers who rescued him from the Armored Titan, and finally Hannes. With blood and tears running down his face, Eren says that he could never atone for what happened and thus he never needed to happen. He asks Historia to do a favour and end his life so that she can save humanity. She then responds, with tears in her eyes, that the day Eren called her a normal person had made her really happy.She then inserts the needle into her forearmbut second-guesses her choice as Eren continues to shamefully bleed with his head down. He listens to Rod Reiss's speech of his brother eating his father and the new found heavenly knowledge he possessed, referring to him as a god. Eren is then shocked when Historia flips her father and angrily dismisses his claims. As Historia rushes up to Eren and begins unshackling him. He pleads with her to eat him and save humanity, crying that it is too painful for him to continue living. Historia bashes the side of his head and demands that he shut up and stop being a cry baby. Eren is stunned to hear Historia claim that humanity is the problem and she thinks they should be destroyed by the Titans. As she continues to free Eren of his shackles, she states that she'll aid in his escape and then destroy everything. Eren is baffled at her words but is then shocked to see Rod Reiss licking the syringe's contents off the floor and then bursting into steam as he transforms into a Titan. Eren then begs that Historia stop trying to free him and run so that he can be devoured. When she refuses he begs her to tell him why and she explains that despite being the enemy of mankind, Eren is her friend and that she can't bare to see him crying of how he isn't needed in the world, that no matter what the situation is, she would rescue someone from such allegations. Eren is suddenly shocked to see her blown backward, away from him, but quickly thankful to see Mikasa catch her before her head smashed against the wall. Eren is then set free by Levi and Jean and moved away from falling debris quickly enough that he was not crushed. It is claimed that Rod Reiss's Titan appears larger than the Colossal Titan. Eren is confused, he thought Rod was going to eat him but it appears now that everyone will be killed. He contemplates turning into a Titan himself but fears that his Titan isn't big enough to defend everyone. He then looks at his teammates and apologizes, claiming that he had always been useless. At that moment, he see's a small jar of liquid on the floor titled "Armor". His team encourages him saying that he has always been able to get out of tough situations. Eren then states that there is no where left to escape. Historia asks him if he wishes to stand together an hold hands while they are either burned or crushed, because they are enemies of humanity. Levi then apologizes to Eren for 'always doing this' and tells him to do what he wants. Eren is then reminded of his choice not to fight when being chased by The Female Titan with the old squad Levi. He apologizes and claims he wants Levi to let him believe in himself just once, and then runs forward as he shatters the armor jar between his teeth.
Eren later awakes as he is being extracted from his Titan form by Armin and Mikasa. To his surprise, he notices that he was able to harden the Titan in order to hold the imploding cave. Eren is shocked at this discovery, due to the fact that he does not remember how he was able to harden the Titan and how to repeat the process; the last thing he recalls is him shattering the armor bottle in his mouth. He then questions where the other jars could be found but is disappointed to hear that the rest of them were crushed or evaporated due to the Titan's devastation.However he is uplifted to hear Levi say that they are now capable of sealing the hole in Wall Maria. Eren then exits the cave with the help of Armin and they notice the imploded earth with the cave below supporting it. Rod Reiss' Titan is seen in the distance, and it is noted to be twice the size of the Colossal Titan and is headed toward the Orvud district as it is drawn to the most densely populated area. The squad follows the Titan while they discuss Eren's abilities and Hange names him the 'Original Titan'. Eren proposes that if Rod were to eat the current user of the coordinate, himself, he could become a Titan Shifter and there would be hope for humanity if the Survey Corps are able to undo the brainwashing of the first king. Eren is ready to give his life, but Historia interrupts the idea by saying that the Reiss family has unsuccessfully been trying to undo the brainwashing for generations. And that Eren's father probably stole the power from them so that the brainwashing could end. Eren remembers his father's last words, saying that if he wanted to protect Mikasa and Armin he would have to master this power and 'let their memories guide him'. The squad then decides that if Rod Reiss is not going to receive the Coordinate power he must be killed. Eren then tries to use the power to dictate the Titan's movements and control it, but he fails. After meeting up with Erwin at the sight of the Titan, Levi discusses a brief report on Rod Reiss and Erwin decides to deal with him at the Orvud district where it is being drawn. Eren stands by during the Garrisons interrogation of Erwin and his plan to prevent the citizens from evacuating in order to bait the Titan. Erwin states if they are unable to use cannon fire to deal with the Titan they will be using the best of the Survey Corps as he looks back at Eren and his team. Just before dawn, Eren awaits the Titan's arrival with the rest of squad Levi. He soon learns that they others had to kill people in order to rescue Historia and himself. Shocked, Eren then notices Historia walking towards the group, equipped with her maneuver gear. Before Levi is able to convince her to return to her safe hiding place, the Titan comes in range of the wall. The soldiers then prepare to face Titan Reiss in combat.
The Squad and Eren start attaching barrels of gunpowder with strings in preparation for battle. When he looks at Historia, he admits how strong she is and how weak he though she was. Eren then thinks that he accepted the Titan powers because that is what a weak person would and he even though that it was logic that people died for him, because he was the saving hero. Eren sees a group of children that remind him to Armin, Mikasa and himself. Armin says that this time is different because they can protect them. Eren starts beating himself up because he thinks that he is an useless idiot. Eren manages to overcome his feelings and transforms into a Titan when Rod Reiss' Titan hands are crippled. He finally shoves the attached barrels of gunpowder inside Rod Reiss's mouth, making the enormous Titan explode into bits.  Historia kills the main body and then he proclaims herself as queen.
Some time later, after Historia is already the queen, Eren is having a walk with her and other members of the Survey Corps. He is telling her that she should not hit Levi as part of the joke that Dimo Reeves and later Eren told her. After they find Levi, she dares to hit him, shouting that she is now the queen. However, Levi just thanks them with a happy look on his face, surprising everyone, including Eren.
Two months have passed since Historia has become queen. Eren, Armin and Jean are having a conversation at sunset in front of an orphanage that Historia has built. They talk about how Historia has uses her power to help the orphans and the poor people, giving her the nickname of the goddess of cattlemen . Jean jokes with him, saying that everyone has forgotten about the boy who sealed the gate of Trost District. However Eren thinks that this is just what Historia wants to do as queen, seek for people in need and help them. When Historia sees them escaping work, she orders them to take boxes to the orphanage. Eren tells her that his hardening powers are improving and that he will have to kill Reiner and Bertolt in the future. She jokes with her, saying how a king person like her thought that mankind should be exterminated, but their conversation is interrupted by Mikasa.
Some time later, Eren is watching at the first public test of the new Titan Guillotine, created by Hange Zoë thanks to his powers. The guillotine is a success, but it is revealed that Eren's hardening powers have an impact on his body. However Eren refuses to rest, saying that this machines are amazing and that they can help to reconquest Shiganshina District.
Eren is then seen in a barrack, having dinner while other soldiers celebrate the success of the guillotine. Eren is asked about the information that Ymir told in the forest, suggesting that all Titans were once humans. His thoughts are interrupted by Mikasa and Jean. He asks him about his new memories and the man that his father met the day Wall Maria fell. Joking about the instructor, this gives Eren the identity of the man, Keith Shadis.
The next morning,Eren, Armin, Mikasa, Jean, Levi, Hange and Sasha pay a visit to Keith Shadis, their instructor. They have a conversation inside a small house, all sit except Sasha. Keith pints out that Eren resembles both his father and his mother. Eren then asks him to tell them all that he knows. Keith starts telling what he know, how he met Grisha and everything he knows about him. Keith finally confesses that he is nothing more that a bystander and that he has no power to change things.Time goes by, and the operation to retake Wall Maria is ready. The day before the operation the soldiers are having a great dinner in order to ready them for the operation. However the food turns Sasha into a mindless state. She is later retrained by Eren and Connie. They remember how much things have changed in three months since the battle of Trost. However that makes them happy, seeing how much they have escalated.Night continues and Jean starts a fight against Eren by insulting him. While they brawl, they wonder why nobody is stopping them, when suddenly Levi comes and knocks them.
After the fight, Eren, Armin and Mikasa have a conversation about their future. They talk about how strong and weak people need to combine their abilities in order to succeed. After mistaking a Garrison with Hannes, Mikasa wonders if they will be able to go back to easier times when they reconquest Wall Maria. Eren answers that if may not be possible, but that is the reason why they must make them pay. Armin also adds that there is more beyond the Walls and that it can be discovered thanks to being part of the Survey Corps. Finally he bows to see the ocean, without noticing the Levi is hearing their conversation.
The next morning, the soldiers are ready to travel. They get very surprised when they see that the civilians are cheering them. Finally Erwin orders the start of the operation and Eren travels towards Shiganshina along with Squad Levi.
Originally, Eren's only noteworthy trait was his natural physical strength, which stemmed from having to defend his friend Armin from bullies who were bigger and stronger. As he grew and joined the 104th squad, he trained extensively in hand-to-hand combat. After additional training with Reiner and Annie, Eren's prowess and skill set diversified, including the use of punches, throws, grappling and submission locks. He had the best scores for hand-to-hand combat of the entire 104th graduate squad. While hand-to-hand fighting would appear useless due to the massive physical differences between humans and Titans, these skills gave Eren a powerful edge when fighting other Titans in his own Titan form.
3D Maneuver Gear
At first, it is shown that Eren is not very skilled with the gear, he tried and tried countless times but kept tripping and smacking his head on the floor. People mocked him for this. Eren pleaded for help from everyone but the only advice they could give Eren was that he needed to clear his mind and focus. On his last attempt Eren did just that and stayed upright for a short period of time before tipping over and hitting his head. The commander told Thomas Wagner to swap equipment with Eren and for Eren to try again. Eren did so and balanced with ease. Commander then told Eren that his equipment was damaged and that it was a miracle that he managed to stay up right at all. He isn't shown using the gear much, but was able to hold his own with the Colossal Titan for a short period of time until the Titan disappeared. He was eventually able to slowly develop a respectable amount of skill with the use of the gear, even being capable of killing a Titan on his own not too long after joining the Scouting Corps.
Eren Yeager's Statistics :
After living in a refugee camp, Grisha came to Eren in secret one night. Grisha asked about Carla's fate and when he replied that she had been eaten, Grisha took him into the woods and tearfully told him to avenge her and defend Armin and Mikasa. He gave him the key to the basement and injected a struggling Eren with a serum, which transformed him into a normal 6-7 meter Titan with short rugged hair and a skinny body. This Titan ate the Shifter Grisha and returned to human form. Eren cried loudly over the grisly remains of his father and fell unconscious. Keith Shadis found him and, because he didn't see Grisha, he took Eren back to the camp and gently placed him next to a sleeping Mikasa and Armin.
Years later during the first Battle of Trost, Eren was swallowed whole by a Titan, and inside the stomach-like cavity saw other fellow recruits lying dead/dying, one wanting her mother before sinking in stomach acid. This sight combined with intense feelings of desperation and his drive to exterminate all Titans awoke his ability to transform into a Titan. In this form, he is a 15m Titan, with shoulder-length black hair, pointed ears, a long nose, and a gaping, skeleton like maw lacking lips. Unlike most other Titans, Eren's Titan form is considerably more muscular and defined; making him much stronger than even similar sized Titans while his intelligence and military training, allow him to out-maneuver and dispatch entire groups of Titans with ease. A transformation takes a heavy toll on Eren’s body and requires large amounts of stamina. As a result, he has displayed several symptoms when he over-exerts himself such as a nosebleed, pale skin, and labored breathing. In some cases, Eren is rendered unconscious for a short period of time after a Titan transformation.
Initially, Eren has no control over his actions when he first transforms into a Titan, and is unable to remember any actions that occurred during the first Battle of Trost. He is in a “dream-like state” and fails to remember how to transform in the first place. However, Eren recalls fragmented memories of his father by seeing the key to the basement of his old home, and is able to successfully transform to protect Armin and Mikasa from certain death. It has been shown that with more transformations, Eren retains more of is intelligence being able to form rational thoughts. At the beginning, during the second Battle of Trost, Eren in his Titan form attacks Mikasa but ultimately plugs the hole in Trost's gate after Armin forces him to wake up. His Titan form, combined with his growing experience and his hand-to-hand combat skills allowed him to kill over 20 Titans in his first transformation and later manage to overpower and nearly kill the Armored Titan.
Eren, like all other Titan Shifters, must physically harm himself in order to transform into his Titan form. However, lack of a determined goal and resolution for it inhibit his ability to transform as shown when he cannot transform at first to confront Annie Leonhart. Within Titan transformations, he has displayed the ability to partially transform, as shown when he protected Mikasa and Armin from a cannonball by forming the upper torso skeleton, complete with arms and a skull with some muscle tissue. The source of his powers have yet to be revealed. From his suppressed memories, Eren believes that the full truth of his Titan powers, as well as a way to defeat the Titans once and for all, is located in the basement beneath the ruins of his family home.
- Regeneration: Eren’s Titan form has demonstrated the ability to automatically heal any injury sustained in battle and also to regenerate entire limbs. Unlike Annie Leonhart, Eren has not shown the advanced ability to focus regeneration to one wounded area of his Titan form. His healing factor was fast enough to heal an entire lost hand in mere seconds to an entire arm in minutes. This ability is useful to Eren as, when he fights, he often loses entire limbs in his Titan form. While in his human state, Eren can also regenerate entire lost limbs, as seen after he lost his arm and leg to a Titan, he regrew them. When captured by Reiner Braun and Bertolt Hoover in the Forest of Giant Trees, Eren was seen regenerating his lost arms after he lost a fight in his Titan form.
- Enhanced Strength: As a result of Eren’s Titan form being much more muscular than other Titans, he is much stronger in terms of physical strength. During his first transformation, Eren was able to decapitate a 15m Titan with a single punch, and kill a 7m Titan with little effort. With both arms lost, he was also strong enough to bite into the neck of a large, abnormal Titan that ate Thomas, and lift it up above his head. With enough force, Eren was able to throw the abnormal into another Titan hard enough to knock them both into a building. Against the Female Titan in the Forest of Giant Trees, Eren’s Titan form had enough physical force to leave large craters in the ground, as well as lift the Female Titan into the air with a punch. Ultimately, Eren’s greatest display of strength was when he lifted a giant boulder, albeit with difficultly, carry it across a large distance, and slam it down to seal the hole in Trost's gate, producing a large shock wave.
- Enhanced Endurance: Perhaps Eren's most notable trait of all is his ability to maintain levels of activity for an extended period of time. Eren’s first transformation carried on long enough to incapacitate 20 Titans in total. In battle, even after receiving massive amounts of damage from the Female Titan, Eren can carry on fighting, despite the handicaps that he suffers. He was also able to fight against the Armored Titan for a period of time and gain the upper hand. Eren’s endurance in his Titan form was enough to allow him to sustain the effort of hoisting a huge rock on his back, carry it over a large distance, and seal the hole in Trost's gate shortly before collapsing.
- Hardening: After drinking a bottle labelled "Armor" from Rod Reiss' bag, Eren's Titan form gained the ability to harden its body, as well as create a web of pillars that appear to originate from his Titan body. The hardened pillars are incredibly durable, capable of preventing a cave-in, as well as shielding Squad Levi from the heat of Rod Reiss' Titan form. The constructs, as well as Eren's Titan, also retain their durability and hardened state even after he has been separated from his Titan body. After two months of training with Hange Zoe, Eren is able to seal a cave with his hardening powers and reinforce the hole the Colossal Titan left in Trost. However, constant use of his power can overwhelm him and make him weak.
Eren possesses a mysterious ability to control nearby Titans, causing them to relentlessly attack his chosen target. The first time he uses it is entirely by accident, causing nearby Titans to attack and devour the Smiling Titan. The second time was as much an accident, setting the same Titans upon Bertolt and Reiner while telling them to stay back. While it is shown that other Titan Shifters can sense the activation of his power, it is unknown whether it is possible to use it to influence or control other Titan Shifters.
The exact nature and limitations of this mysterious ability are unknown, but appear to have been the reason that Annie, Reiner, and Bertolt attempted to kidnap him, though both Reiner and Bertolt were alarmed when he showed the ability to direct the Titans. According to Rod Reiss, it has the potential to wipe out the Titans, if the user is skilled enough. The source of this mysterious power is revealed to be the wealthy Reiss Family, the true royal family. They used the Coordinate for years, manipulating the memories of the people inside the Walls and even used the Coordinate to build those structures. The holder would be the true ruler of humanity. Since the holder fell under the First King's ideology and saw a world ruled by Titans as true peace, they did nothing and stayed in silence. Grisha eventually tracked down and found the current holder, Frieda Reiss, and engaged her in a Titan fight to the death. Since Frieda was inexperienced with her powers, Grisha ate her and absorbed her powers, before killing most of her family, with the exception of Rod and Historia. Grisha then found Eren and injected him with a Titan serum and allowed him to eat him, giving him the power and memories of Frieda Reiss so Eren could accomplish what he always wanted to do; kill the Titans and free humanity.
- Mikasa Ackerman - Eren has a complex relationship with his adoptive sister. He often displays a brusque, casual attitude with her, which belies their deep bond and care for each other. While Mikasa is more open with showing concern for him, Eren only does so when she is injured or in distress. Despite his blunt exterior, he is always looking out for her, and will not hesitate to comfort or reassure her when he senses that she needs him to. He would even go as far as to call himself a monster to ensure that she would not be targeted by the prosecution. Like typical siblings, they do not always agree, but Eren will usually not stop Mikasa from doing what she wants, so long as it is within reason. He also seems to harbor somewhat of an inferiority complex towards her, due to her outstripping him in both strength and battle skill. This is further compounded by her desire to constantly keep tabs on him and keep him out of trouble - a habit he generally views as annoying. At times he feels so stifled by her protectiveness that he openly lash out at her, telling her not treat him like her "little brother". Despite this, he will attack anyone and anything that threatens Mikasa, even meeting a punch from a 14 m class Titan bare-handed simply to protect her.
- Armin Arlert - Armin is Eren's closest friend, who inspired him to dream of the world beyond the Walls (and in doing so, became partially responsible for motivating him to join the Survey Corps). During their childhood, they were snubbed by other children as well as adults for their "heretical" ideas. Armin himself was frequently targeted by bullies, whom Eren (sometimes with Mikasa in tow) would constantly try to fend off. This pattern would continue into their teenage years, with Eren leaping into action to save Armin from danger, not caring if he himself is harmed in the process; the most memorable occasion being the day Eren (sans his left leg) snatched Armin from a Titan's jaws and got swallowed in his place (losing his left arm in the process). Despite Armin considering himself as burdensome, Eren greatly appreciates his quick-wittiness and brilliant judgement (it also did not miss him that Armin's quick thinking had saved his and Mikasa's lives in 845). Eren's confidence in Armin is so great that he will entrust him with his life with no hesitation if asked to do so.
- Jean Kirstein - As Eren's main rival, his temperament is the very antithesis of Eren's. Where Eren is hotheaded, he is collected; and Jean is pessimistically pragmatic as Eren is idealistic. Jean believed anyone who wished to join the Survey Corps was a suicidal fool, while Eren regarded those who looked down on the people who wanted to fight the Titans with contempt. Initially, they were able to resolve their differences in a civil manner despite starting off on the wrong foot. However, this friendliness was short-lived, as Jean became jealous when he saw how familiar Eren was with Mikasa. A fierce rivalry soon budded between them, with the two constantly provoking each other and getting into fistfights. In addition to insulting Jean to his face, Eren also seems to be fond of saying Jean has a "horse-face" behind his back. In the wake of the Battle of Trost however, Eren and Jean seem to have set their differences aside and stopped antagonizing each other. Though they still quarrel as much as before, their animosity has noticeably lessened.
- Levi Ackerman - As humanity's most formidable soldier and Eren's superior officer, Levi commands great respect and admiration from him. Eren bore no grudge against Levi for brutally beating him before the entire court during his trial, recognizing that it had been a necessary measure to secure his life (though he did still flinch the next time Levi sat down next to him). Aware of the vast gap in experience between them, Eren strives to learn as much as he can from Levi, heeding his advice with little hesitation and trusting his judgement. During the thirty days he shared living space with Levi's squad, he also seems to have learned the standard of cleanliness Levi demands very well. A notable depiction of this is when he is shown diligently cleaning his new squad's base (and fretting over the somewhat slovenly habits of his peers) in anticipation of Levi's arrival.
- Historia Reiss/Krista Lenz - Eren did not initially interact with Historia very much, and had in fact secretly disliked her because he felt she was a phony. However, once her true identity was revealed and her demeanor began to change, Eren began to see her as more "honest" and warmed up to her. He even accepted being eaten by her if it meant the annihilation of all Titans, which shows deep confidence in her.
- Annie Leonhart - Eren greatly admired Annie, and was trained in her unique fighting style during their years as trainees. He considered her to be a kind person beneath her cold exterior, and credited her with making him aware of the contradictions within the military system. However, he was eventually horrified to learn of her identity as the Female Titan. Even as Annie herself transformed in front of him, a part of Eren refused to accept her betrayal; and he became so conflicted that he was initially unable to summon the will to fight her (Mikasa even went so far as to suggest that his hesitation was due to him harboring "special feelings" for her). Even as he went toe-to-toe with Annie, he continued to brood over what had driven her to slaughter their comrades, and displayed far less anger and contempt towards her than he did for Bertolt or Reiner.
- Reiner Braun - Eren once described Reiner as being like an older brother to him, and admired him as a "strong, capable guy". The two were shown to have trained together, and Reiner taught him the importance of the duty soldiers have to protect the weak. It can be said that he was the one Eren looked up to the most in his career as a soldier. However, Eren eventually came to despise Reiner upon learning of his true identity as the Armoured Titan, and now views him as a disgusting traitor who has no right to be alive. He plans to slaughter him along with Bertolt Hoover in the slowest, most excruciating manner possible in repayment for all that they have done.
- Bertolt Hoover - Though initially on good terms, Eren still had his reservations about Bertolt, and seemed to think of him as "taciturn". After his true identity as the Colossal Titan was revealed, Eren came to hate him as well, furiously confronting him over his role in his mother's death. He was only further infuriated by Bertolt's cold response, and is now bent on making his death as miserable and painful as possible.
- Connie Springer - As members of the same trainee squad, Eren and Connie shared many experiences together and get on well with each other. In the early days of their training, Connie was among the trainees who eagerly questioned Eren about the Titans' invasion in 845. Though he only enlisted in order to have a good reputation in his home village and initially wished to join the Military Police Brigade, Connie was so moved by Eren's passionate conviction to defeat the Titans that in the end, he decided to join the Survey Corps instead. Though their backgrounds are different, the two now find themselves sharing a similar plight. Both their families and homes are reduced to little more than memories, and each carries the burden of his mother's cruel fate.
- Hange Zoë - When Eren first met Hange, he was put off by her obsession with him, finding it creepy. After learning about her work on Sawney and Bean, however, and her reason for being so obsessed with Titans and change (which he could relate to), he became one of the first people to be interested in Hange's work and was saddened by the deaths of the Titan test subjects (although he still finds her weird, especially after she kept him up the entirety of one night).
- Grisha Yeager - Much like his late wife, Grisha was shown to be a very caring parent towards Eren, greatly concerned with his personal development and general well-being. He understood his son's nature very well, and though he would reprimand Eren when he stepped out of line, he was more likely to simply listen to and guide him. Eren seemed to appreciate Grisha for this, and as a result was greatly frustrated and saddened by his sudden disappearance after Wall Maria fell. Upon remembering the mission his father left him before he vanished, Eren expressed anger and bitterness at the fact that Grisha had kept secrets from them, on top of abandoning himself and Mikasa. He also seems to hold to the belief that his father is still alive, at times pondering over his whereabouts and what he had been doing since the fall of Wall Maria.
- Carla Yeager - Carla cared for her son deeply and seemed to want the best for him. Not surprisingly, she was against the idea of Eren enlisting in the Survey Corps when he got older, as many people died outside the walls. Though Eren never listened to her warnings or advice and insisted on pursuing his dream, he loved her very much. During the fall of Shiganshina, he struggled in vain to rescue her from the rubble of their demolished home despite being surrounded by Titans and wanting to run away from the danger. Unfortunately, he was ultimately forced to watch a Titan devour her as he was hauled to safety. Her brutal demise and his own powerlessness to prevent it severely traumatized Eren. In his grief, he expressed remorse for continuing to disobey and argue with her in their last moments together, and her loss fueled his virulent hatred of all Titans.
- Hannes - Prior to the fall of Wall Maria, Eren was constantly frustrated by Hannes being a habitual drunkard in the line of duty. Despite not having saved Carla from the hands of the Titan, Eren bears no ill will towards him, instead looking upon him with respect and understanding. Eren was driven to the brink of despair as he witnessed Hannes being eaten alive by the Smiling Titan, and he remains tormented by his loss despite managing to avenge him. In memory of Hannes and his sacrifice, Eren has become more determined than ever to discover the truth about the Titans and punish any guilty parties.
- Marco Bott - Eren had great respect for him, and recognized his tendency to think of the group before himself. He also stated he would have liked to be on his squad, and considered him a good leader. Upon learning of Marco's death, Eren was initially in a state of disbelief, and was visibly stricken when Jean reaffirmed that the news was true.
- Petra Ral - Among the members of the squad assigned to protect Eren, Petra seemed to be the one closest to him. She was among the least eccentric and most friendly of the members, and Eren admired her not only for her skill, but for her open acceptance of him as a comrade as well. Witnessing her demise at the hands of the Female Titan was a devastating blow to him, and he remains remorseful of making the decision that led to her death.
- Oluo Bozado - Of all the members of Levi's squad, Oluo gave Eren the toughest time, often badmouthing and blustering at him. Despite his senior's somewhat obnoxious and boastful demeanour, Eren still respected Oluo as a top-tier soldier. His violent death was perhaps the trigger event that caused Eren to finally shift to his Titan form to stop the Female Titan in its tracks. Along with the other member's of Levi's special squad, his death still haunts Eren.
- Eld Jinn & Gunther Schultz - Eren admired the two soldiers; both in their skills, serious attitude and devotion to humanity by facing the Titans. Their deaths partly fuelled Eren's rampage against the Female Titan, and he is still filled with regret over not choosing to fight while they were still alive.
- Eren ranked second in the Characters Popularity Poll, right after Levi Ackerman.
- Eren was known for fighting with local bullies before Shiganshina fell.
- In a flashback, his father notes that he does not make friends easily.
- The name Eren is of Cultural Ethnic Turkish origin. Its exact meaning and description is "He who progresses/has reached towards divine maturity and sacred wisdom". It can also be interpreted as a "saint" or "holy person". "Eren" could also stand for the German word "Ehre" (plural "Ehren"), which means honor.
- Eren's surname, Yeager, is an Anglicised form of the name Jäger/Jaeger, common amongst German-American migrants.
- Eren Yeager sounds similar to the German word "Ehrenjäger", which means "titular hunter".
- According to Armin Arlert, the 104th Trainee Squad nicknamed him the "Suicidal Bastard" (死に急ぎ野郎 Shi ni isogi yarō?, lit. the bastard who's in a hurry to die).
- When speaking about Titans, Eren has a habit of using -hiki (the counter suffix for small animals) instead of -tai (the counter for large animals), signifying his deep contempt for them.
- He has the highest Titan kill record by far of all the former graduates of the 104th Trainees Squad, though he has killed only one Titan in human form with his 3DMG abilities, and the rest have been killed using his Titan shifting abilities or the power of the Coordinate. In human form, the most kills belong to Mikasa.
- Hajime Isayama stated in an interview that he based Eren's Titan form off of the Japanese martial artist Yūshin Okami, paraphrasing it to be the "ideal physique of a middleweight mixed martial artist".
- Whilst lifting the giant boulder in his Titan form to block the breach in Wall Rose, Eren bore a striking resemblance to the Ancient Greek Titan Atlas, who supported the celestial sphere on his shoulders.
- An interview with Isayama's editor in Otomedia's October 2013 issue revealed Isayama originally intended for Eren to have known all along that he was a Titan, but scratched the idea.
- Feuerroter Pfeil und Bogen is Eren's theme song in the anime. The song alludes to his name multiple times.
- It had been stated by Carla in the anime that Eren's ears blush when he is lying.
- In the anime adaptation, there are few instances of foreshadowing Eren's titan-shifting ability before it is fully revealed.
- Soon after Wall Maria falls, Eren dreams of his father injecting him with a mysterious serum.
- When Eren fails basic balance training due to faulty equipment, he cracks his head against the ground. The steam that rises from his head is actually his unconscious ability to regenerate rather than embarrassment (and unlike the manga, his injuries fully heal by the very next day).
- In the anime, Eren's Titan form has nictitating membranes, (a third eyelid possessed by predatory species such as sharks, birds of prey, and reptiles), and can be observed blinking them several times in episode 8. It unknown whether it possesses this trait in the manga.
- In the game Age of Gunslingers Online, a special Titan Mode was made as a tribute to the series. It features Eln, an NPC modeled after Eren and voiced by Yūki Kaji. A trailer of this mode can be viewed here. There is also a special skin for the Dual Pistol class available for purchase.
- Eren is one of the Attack on Titan characters that were made into Nendoroid figures, along with Mikasa, Levi, Armin, and the Colossal Titan.
- Eren ranked first in the Akiba Souken Shingeki no Kyojin online character popularity poll.
- (To Grisha) "I want to know what's become of the outside world. I don't want to ingorantly live out my entire life inside these walls. And if there's nobody around to carry on anymore, then all the lives of the people who've died so far would become pointless!
- (To Mikasa) "If you lose, you die. If you win, you live. If you don't fight, you can't win!"
- (To Hannes) "Even if we can't ever leave the walls, if we can eat and sleep we can still live on... which is just like being livestock, isn't it?"
- (About the Titans) "I'll purge this world of them... not sparing a single one."
- (To himself as Shiganshina fell) Because I am... because humans are weak... do weaklings have no alternative but to cry?
- (To himself upon graduating) "I've made it here at last. It's humanity's turn now. This time around... mankind will feast upon the Titans!"
- (About Sasha) "The face she made when the instructor told her to run till she dropped was nowhere near as sad as when she heard she wouldn't be getting any supper."
- (To himself upon passing the first training test) I did it! How's that, Mikasa? I can do this! I can fight the Titans! I don't need to have you looking after me anymore!
- (To Mikasa) "Knock it off! Mankind is on the verge of ruin! How can you be trying to make this situation convenient for yourself?"
- (To Armin) "Armin... because you told me about it... I'm going to go... to the outside world."
- (To Mikasa) "I'm neither your little brother, nor your kid!"
- All of us are free from the moment we're born. Those who deny it, no matter how strong they are, don't matter. The fiery waters, or the lands of ice, it doesn't matter what it is... whoever witnesses these things has gained the greatest freedom in the world. So fight. If it's for the sake of that [freedom], I won't regret things like lives. It doesn't matter how terrifying the world is. It doesn't matter how cruel the world is. Fight! Fight! FIGHT!
- (To Levi) "I want to enter the Survey Corps and beat the Titans to death, sir."
- (To members of the prosecution during his trial) "What are you going to do if the ones with the strength don't fight for you?"
- (To himself about Levi's Squad) Why did I choose to stand by and watch my comrades be killed? Wait... I know. It's because I wanted new comrades. Sincere support... like I had when I was with them [the 104th training squad]. I've already had enough. I've had enough of being treated like a monster and being left out. No more. That's why. I just wanted to believe that trusting my comrades is the right thing to do.